Friday, March 07, 2008

The Old Graveshifter (dot com)

While I'm getting nostalgic for the late 90s, rehashing old art titles and stuff, I took a look at my first art website, graveshifter.com today. I can't believe its still running. Its like the Mary Celeste, unmaintained, forgotten, adrift. I got the name Graveshifter when I did a Halloween art show at my favorite bar in Athens, GA, the Manhattan Cafe with two killer artists and generally great creative guys, Jim Stacy and Joey Tatum. Jim (who tended bar there at the time) was lining everything up and designed these beautiful screenprinted posters to promote the very rare event (the Manhattan rarely has art shows). He was always doing neat projects, and at the time he was hosting a "Nightmare Theatre" type show as the creepy Dr. Crepula. He wanted me and Joey to have cool, scary nicknames for the poster as well. Joey was "The Machete". I coughed up Graveshifter at the last second. Later when I bought a domain for the website I just had to use it. The site is very homemade and sprawling and took forever to upload and edit on my clunky PC dial-up rig. One of the most fun features I did on the site was my short lived, super sporadic "Book of the Month" review, where I showcased an illustrated weird book I found at the many thrift stores I haunted. Maybe I'll pick up that bit for this blog...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I have one of those posters Jim did. What a great show.

Jared said...

You should definitely revive that feature. By the way, have you seen/are you aware of this? http://www.cinemachine.net/index_h.html
I just happened to notice it on Netflix.