Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Constructive Criticism and JTO

I've been entering designs at the Threadless.com t-shirt competition lately (2 designs so far). Mainly because I'm kind of broke and need to buy a new design computer for home, so I'm flinging stuff down every avenue that pops into view. Its fairly easy to mock stuff up and submit (that's what I do at work all day anyway) and its free and the win is pretty damn decent, so what the hell. The comments were interesting during the voting process. Many of them reflect the kind of criticism that scrapes my nerves, the little gently "constructive" advice that suggests ways to clarify in order for a design to make more sense(!?!). So I get stuff like "the unicorn seems a little creepy, I like the colors, though : ) !!". I've heard this sort of thing from fellow students, clients, and occasional random strangers for decades. Save your breath- I'm into nonsense.

4 comments:

Jared said...

Those comments were hilarious.

JTO said...

Yeah, a lot of them were funny and some were really very nice. And I do realize that when you hang stuff out in public you invite comments- that's part of it. Its just funny when people try to point out "errors" which are something central to the whole piece. Its sort of like scolding a blues singer for using bad grammar, or a glam rocker for being too flashy.

hillary said...

But don't U realize those pins kan pop the unicorn???

JTO said...

but the pins aren't sharp because of the colorful balls on the tips...they need to be more pointy!!!!