Monday, March 24, 2008

The Black Cat screens at Flicker Mar. 31...



Next week Strayhorn Magazine (a project created by Todd Kelly...I've been pitching in with art and stuff) is screening The Black Cat (1934) directed by exiled auteur Edgar G. Ulmer, starring Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. We have a monthly slot screening stuff at Flicker (a great bar/theatre/performance space near the 40 Watt in downtown Athens GA) and try to showcase out of print or at least generally rare stuff (Deep End, Greaser's Palace, Mickey One). The Black Cat is not out of print but it has not been very available on DVD in the rental joints and media stores, at least in the Athens area. I rant and rave about this one when I talk movies with folks (which happens a lot, a can babble like a broken record) but not many people I know have seen it. Its a favorite of mine, I love Bela and Boris, and this is one of their best together. Its totally crazy, very unpredictable and dreamlike and weird. Not at all a typical monster mash. If you live in the Athens area and want to see it, come by the Flicker Monday at nine PM. Free admission, free popcorn, and reasonably priced cocktails! I finished this poster and I"m hanging them up at the local haunts after work today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey could you set aside and save one of those fliers for me? I don't know if I'll be in ATH that night yet or not, but I love The Black Cat and that's my BDay-

Chilly

JTO said...

No problem! I printed them this morning, they turned out nice...Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

hey jeff,
i was wondering if you guys have showed greasers palace yet....if my memory serves me, jack nitzche did the score for it....i've wanted to see it for a while.....same director as putney swope, right?just downloaded the soundtrack to "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" and am digging jack's take on muzak waltzes along with the main theme-the most instantly identifiable (and endlessly parodied)movie theme behind star wars...

anyhow, i enjoy the blog....my brother-in law is pete mcbrayer and i play around town a bunch so maybe i'll bump into you one of these days...dig yer logos!

jay gonzalez

JTO said...

Hey Jay,
Yep, we showed Greaser's Palace a couple of months ago-its great-totally insane. We had an old VHS of it-its out of print right now. I just saw Putney Swope!