Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Trials of a Cartoonist

I love drawing cartoons. That why I started drawing (at about age 2 or 3). I think in cartoons, breathe cartoons. I cannot fathom the mindset of people who are indifferent about them, or hate them. For most of life I drew for myself, and to this day, when I make stuff for exhibitions and personal projects, I never consider an "audience" at all. I make stuff I want to see. But as an illustrator, cartooning is an enormous pain in the ass. People nitpick every design to shreds...too scary, too cute, too messy, too clean. I was even corrected by one one genius who pointed out that "there are 5 fingers on a hand, not four"! People are surrounded by cartoons constantly and seldom, if ever, question their design (Bugs Bunny's ears are too long!) When they get some control, some "input", the flood of ridiculous revisions crash in. Not always...sometimes folks are cool...clear direction, sensible revisions...great. I used to think that caught flack because I'm a faceless nobody in the field. Then I read an interview with R. Crumb; he talks about his VOLUNTEER stuff for a small activist paper- they totally picked him to death. He said Spain Rodriguez had the same problem. I guess its a pretty common complaint in any creative field, but good Lord! I know what I'm doing in this arena...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do all of the silhouettes at the bottom of 'Rabbit Fighter' have super short sleeves and breasts? I'm offended there isn't a silhouette of an obvious, giant, male gut!

JK, I'd rather look at/imagine boobs than guts too-

C

JTO said...

That's Showbiz!